Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Yeah, I Work Out (sometimes)

In mid-July I had this crazy idea to start training for a 5k, to be a fit mom.  Well, like most of my crazy ideas, I didn't want to do it alone so I roped/conned/begged Jess, Jen, Kathy & Becky to join me in a 5k in Dallas called the Color Run in mid-November.  I thought that would give us plenty of time to train and I always like having a goal.  And - just like that - Team TuTu Crazy was born.

The training started off great - I used the Couch to 5k app and was running every other day.  All of our husbands even started training, since they couldn't let their wives beat them.  Woo hoo!

Then...life happened.  August was met with a broken a/c, 4 month vaccines, the ear infection of evilness, but I still ran.  I got plantar facitis, but some new running shoes helped with the pain and I still ran.  September was more awful ear infections and I came down with pneumonia and had to hang up my running shoes for a few weeks, per doctor's orders, so I didn't run.  Had I not had these ladies as motivation and to hold me accountable, I would have said forget it and quit.  But I didn't.  I started running again this evening and, although I had to start my training completely over, I still ran.  And it feels amazing! 

My friends are such an inspiration!  Kathy hurt her knee, then her ankle and yet - she still managed to not only run, but do P90 and she also biked when she couldn't run.  Becky had some major road rash and still... she ran.  Jess had to have major surgery and take a few weeks off, but she's out there running.  Jen moved from California to Texas with her husband, two young boys and two dogs and still... she ran. 

The point of my rambling is this - life happens.  Stuff happens.  However, to quote my friends, even when we're getting passed by possums (which actually happened to me), we're still lapping those people on the couch.  The reason behind me getting fit isn't to be a supermodel or to be in a size 2.  I want to set a healthy example for my kids and to be a hot wife for my husband.  More importantly, I want to love (or at least like) my body again.  If only I could go back and slap myself and appreciate my body back when I "thought" I was fat.  I love that my body grew and birthed three babies - they are my miracles.  The aftermath is not so pretty.  I have battle scars and "twin skin."  I can wear some of my old jeans, but they're not the most comfortable because of the extra skin. 

I NEVER considered myself a runner and I never really enjoyed it (even when I was on the cross country team in high school).  Now, I look forward to it.  Running gives me confidence in myself and makes me physically and emotionally stronger.  After a day of working and taking care of babies, it is 30 minutes of me time and whatever music I want to listen to.  I can pound it out on the pavement and just be.  Some days, I think about a lot of different stuff and other days, I just focus on my breathing and putting one foot in front of the other.  Afterwards, I may be sore and sweaty, but I am so proud of myself. 

I leave you with this, even if it's just five minutes, take some time for yourself.  A brisk walk around the block, a few sit ups with a baby on your belly.  I promise you - you won't regret it! 

No comments: